Forum Pakistan
New User? Register | Search | Memberlist | Log in
Forum Pakistan - Pakistani Forums
Pakistani forum to discuss Pakistani Media, Siasat, Politics Talk Shows, Khaber Akhbar, Khel, Cricket, Film, Dramas, Songs, Videos, Shairy, Shayari, Pyar Mohabbat ki Kahani, Tourism, Hotels, Fashion, Property, Naukary Gupshup and more.
Watch TV OnlineLive RadioListen QuranAkhbarFree SMS PakistanResults OnlineUrdu EditorLollywoodLive Cricket Score
Government DepartmentsKSE Live RatesUseful LinksJobsOnline GamesCheck EmailPromote us
GEO News LiveGEO NewsDawn News Live TVExpress News

ForumPakistan.com

Bookmark site!

Arrested bookie claims Indian link - Mazhar worked for india

Bookmark and Share

Reply to topic    Forum Pakistan - Pakistani Forums Home » Cricket Cricket and Cricket
MZ
Pak Newbie

Arrested bookie claims Indian link - Mazhar Majeed worked for "Indian Party"

LONDON: The bookie arrested by Scotland Yard for alleged 'spot-fixing' in the ongoing England-Pakistan Lord's Test claims to have links with bookmakers in India as well.

Mazhar Majeed, 35, told an undercover reporter of 'The News of the World' during a sting operation that there are no major activities when the "Indian market is not open".

Pakistan captain Salman Butt, pace duo of Muhammad Asif and Muhammad Aamir and four other players were questioned by the Scotland Yard detectives after the bookie, in the video of the sting operation, claimed that the team bowled no balls for money during the match.

In the the same recording, Majeed claims to know bookmakers in India as well.

"....in terms of results, depending on who we are playing, sometimes it can be 300,000 pounds. The max it can be is 450,000 pounds. You can speak to any bookie in India and they will tell you about this information and how much they'll pay. If you had the information and they knew that it was coming from the source they'd pay you that money themselves," he is quoted as saying.

"I deal with an Indian party. They pay me for the information."

In one conversation, the tabloid reported that "to hammer home the amounts of money our man could win, Majeed called an Indian bookie he regularly deals with and asked him how much he would pay for a definite Oval Test result. Majeed demanded 1.2million dollars but the bookie replied, 'I'll give you one (million)'."

Despite the scandal, the fourth day's play of the match would go ahead as scheduled on Sunday.

Sharad Pawar, the president of ICC and a minister in the Indian cabinet, told reporters in New Delhi on Monday the issue had been discussed in a teleconference, which included the head of the council?s anti-corruption and security unit Ravi Sawani, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ijaz Butt and his English counterpart, Giles Clarke.

?We at the ICC are waiting for definite information from the PCB and our own anti-corruption unit. We hope to get something in the next two to three days? time and that information would lead to appropriate action, if required,? Mr Pawar said.

Sharad Pawar ruled out any action against Pakistani players over the match-fixing scandal until investigations were completed.

Haroon Lorgat, the ICC chief executive, said in a statement anti-corruption officials were assisting London metropolitan police with their separate criminal investigation.

?Make no mistake, once the process is complete, if any players are found to be guilty, the ICC will ensure that the appropriate punishment is handed out. We will not tolerate corruption in this great game,? Mr Lorgat said.

In Islamabad, the government set up a two-member FIA committee to carry out its own investigation. Members of the committee are scheduled to leave for London on Tuesday.

And in London, the man at the centre of the alleged betting scam was freed on bail without charge on Sunday.

Mazhar Majeed, 35, was released from custody after having been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud bookmakers following the newspaper report.

?INDIAN PARTY?: The ICC chief had to face a barrage of questions about a suspected ?Indian party?.

Sharad Pawar said he was unaware that the middleman, Mazhar Majeed, had told the tabloid that he worked for an ?Indian party?.
?I don?t know,? the former Indian cricket chief said. ?The BCCI (Indian cricket board) will have to take a view on that.

?The BCCI is one of our members and I am sure if any serious matter is there, the BCCI will take cognizance of this. ?I can?t come to a conclusion based on a video.?

Indian party named by bookie Mazhar Majeed

LONDON: In course of his interactions with News of the World, Mazhar Majeed remarked: "I deal with an Indian party (presumably meaning a bookie or a gambler).

They pay me for the information." He apparently had messages from this person on his Blackberry mobile phone. More on this will undoubtedly be unearthed as Scotland Yard comb through his handset.
Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Forum Pakistan - Pakistani Forums Home » Cricket Cricket and Cricket All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Gupshup Forum: Urdu ForumIslam ForumPakistan Army ForumAap Ka SheharNaukaryPakistani Visa
Desi Sports and News: Live CricketSports ForumAkhbar OnlinePakistan EventsWorld News Discussion
Entertainment Media: PTV ForumGEO ForumLollywood ForumBollywood OnlineHollywood ForumDesi Radio
Desi Masala Forums: Gupshup Chit ChatComputer GamesMusic ForumDrama ForumsGhazal ForumDesi FashionDesi Food
Official Forums (Government Department): Dak Khana ChatPolice ForumWapda OnlinePTCL ForumUfone ForumRailway ForumSehat Chit ChatTaleem OnlineTax Forum PKZameen ForumAdalat Forum

Pure Pakistani forum to express your views, thoughts with complete freedom. Archives 1 2

Copyright © ForumPakistan.com.pk 2017 All rights reserved.

Contact Us | Advertise | Report Abuse | FP Team | Disclaimer